Friday, July 1, 2011

Librarayy

6/30/11

Well, it seems as though I have somehow managed to unknowingly reactivate my student status at La Universidad Catolica, and now have the superpower of being able to sneak through the library security gates. Yesterday I came to meet up with my friend, Mauri, and after catching up for a little bit, we decided to head down to the library to do some work. I told him, no way no how is my student ID going to work to let me through the library’s (absurd) security turnstiles. After scoffing at how silly he was being, thinking that I could actually get back in, I swiped the card, ready to give him a triumphant “told ya so” look, and watched as the little green light showed and the turnstiles unlocked to let me in. Hah. So I spent a nice few hours reading through materials, taking notes, and watching as freezing bullets of rain pounded on the glass ceiling above, happy to be tucked away inside a warm library. However, a few hours later my growling stomach would not let me continue working, so I decided to take a quick break to get some lunch. On the way out, my magic student ID card failed me. The befuzzled security guard let me out through a side gate, and I continued on my way, knowing that going back through to gather my books and meet back up with Mauri would be a challenge. Sure enough, magic student ID card failed me. The guard insisted that I come over and that he could help me out. At this point I didn’t really know which route to take. The options were, “Of course I’m a student here this semester”, in very broken Spanish with “dumb gringa” written across my face; or, “Hahahah, well see I went here last year”, smileee. I went with option number two, and either the man didn’t understand the situation or me, but it seems as though he reactivated my card. SIP research is about to be a whole lot easier. Yet again, pushing the rules and playing the gringa card have gone in my favor.

1 comment:

  1. Yayyyyyyyyyy! I miss working at the library, so you should send me a picture of you doing it :D

    Love you and miss you,
    Becca

    ReplyDelete