Thursday, July 14, 2011

PROCRASTINATIOOON

WOW I do not want to work on my SIP. I will, it'll happen, but wowwww this week has been a struggle. I have seven websites to read through today, and at the moment they're just sitting prettily in their own separate tabs on my screen. Something about being in the library for 2.5 hours has just completely shut my brain off.

In other news, the other day I went out to watch Chile play Peru in the Copa America. The two countries have been rivals for a looong time (in everything, not just soccer), so this was an important game. My friends and I went out to Paseo Ahumada, a street shut off to traffic, to watch the game as it was played on a huge screen over the street. There were a million billion people in the street, lots and lots of flaites, all rowdy and excited for the game. We pushed our way through the crowd (I was with a group of half gringos, half chileans), and being on of two blonds in the middle of all that hubub, got a lot of attention. While the shouts and stares annoyed me a lot when I first got here, I'm pretty much used to it now, and can take it all with a grain of salt; When people shout out "Hey, where are you from!" I say, "Where do YOU think I'm from?". For some reason it really throws people off when the gringa talks back, and I get to be the one laughing as I walk away. They yell back, "You're from Germany! Brazil!", and I get to yell back, "Uh huh, I'm from BOTH of those places". Clearly puro weando and not making any sense, but I sure get a kick out of it. (The other blond girl who was with us had only been in the country for 3 weeks, and I think she took a lot more offense to it than I did.) Anyway, we watched the game jam packed with all the bajillions of others in the street. The teams had been tied 0-0 for the entire game, but when Chile made the winning goal within the last 4 minutes, the entire street erupted...everyone started jumping up and down all at once, firecrackers and flares went off, and people started honking horns. The jumping thing was fun for a bit, until it became a sea of jumping and pushing, and hoping that you didn't fall over and get trampled in the middle of everyone. Definitely, going out into the street to watch the game was a great, great idea.

Today there was another student march for education reform (I keep running into these guys), and I had a nice time walking with the march for about a half hour before getting to the library. Needless to say, I forgot my camera again. Oops.

Well now that I have procrastinated and run my computer's battery dangerously low, it seems that the SIP is calling. Poop.

No comments:

Post a Comment