Friday, August 6, 2010

mmmm school.

Oh man, has it really been a week since I wrote here? I am never going to be able to remember everything that has happened. But here are at least the interesting points.

This week has been all about trying to figure out classes in the universities here. I've been told that this is the most frustrating part of one's entire experience in Chile, and I'm pretty inclined to believe that that's true. At la Catolica (one of the universities), they are pretty well organized, but in order to sign up for a class you have to go to the office of that department, which oh yeah, is only open for a few hours every day. At la Chile (the other univ) there is approximately zero organization: the class schedules were not online/available until the day classes started (how does this make any sense??). So far I am registered in three classes, and next week will find one more to take. I am taking two classes at la Catolica (but of course at different campuses, because why should I make things easy). The first, enfrentando la pobreza, aka confronting poverty, seems really interesting. It's in the agriculture department (weird, yes) but basically talks about social issues, and we get to do a community service component which I'm really excited for. Next, I'm taking Vargas Llosa, Novelista at La Catolica's central campus, which happens to be pretty close to my house. There is a tonnn of work--we have to read something like 8 novels--but the profe is really cool, so I think it'll be worth it. CIEE offers some classes too, so I'm taking a human rights class with them. The class seems so interesting; the main profe was a really important judge in a lot of human rights cases in Chile, we get to go on field trips (!!!!), and there are visiting profs all the time. Also, so far there are only 3 of us in the class.

Basically this past week has included a lot of frantic wandering from class to class, asking Chileans where exactly I am, not understanding things, getting lost, and repeat. But I seem to be getting the hang of things little by little...One of the most challenging aspects so far is figuring out how to access readings for classes. Books are generally super expensive here, so everyone photocopies EVERYTHING. At the universities there are photocopy stations where you put in an order for copies and come back later to pick them up (and then wait in a line with every other person in the entire universe). Today I went to a fotocopiadora (not at school, just a store) and waited for about an hour and a half as they hand fed the papers through the machine. So frustrating.

In other news, a few nights ago I went with my host dad to a bar to share some cerveza and watch the big futbol aka soccer game: U Chile vs. Chivas (Mexico). Definitely heard some words there that are in no way allowed in a house with a 2 year old. Unfortunately U Chile lost...it was a very quiet walk back to the house.

Last night I went with Christine and Courtney, two other girls from CIEE, to our friend Alexandra's house. (Ale was one of the "cultural embassadors" with CIEE. Basically a chilean university student who could show us the ropes/someone to hang out with.) We went to her house and made delicious guacamole. This involved a bus ride to the supermarket to get chips. I am still getting used to riding the micros...the metro I know how to do, but micro drivers tend to slam on the breaks and swerve all over the place. I was launched into a girl, and instinctively grabbed out to catch myself. Unfortunately I grabbed the guy who was standing right across from me. Neither of them appeared too pleased with this situation. Ah well, I've learned that everyday brings another awkward experience to learn from. Anyway, I had a great time at Ale's house; we stayed for once (evening meal of bread, tea, other snacks), and then headed home before the metro closed. It was really nice to meet another chilean family and get to talk to them as well.

I'll leave you all with some more photos, some stolen from facebook, others are mine.

Everyone in the program on the second night here at our welcome dinner with Pisco sours, the national drink.


Dancing at Papagayo's



At Flannery's, an Irish pub, with friends



There are stray dogs everywhere. This one really wanted my lunch.


Gah so cute. Even though he likes to steal my stuff sometimes, this kid is adorable. And yes, that is my headlamp.

Guacamole success! (And lots of other delicious things too.)







Enjoying a wonderful cup of REAL coffee and chocolaty brownie after a long day of classes.





No comments:

Post a Comment